Publishing & Presenting Research
Design and execution are the first steps of a research project; publishing and disseminating the results are its culmination. This course is designed to introduce students to the core knowledge and skills necessary to:
- Prepare research abstracts for competitive submission to scientific meetings as well as for full-length research manuscripts;
- Create concise, effective, and engaging oral and poster research presentations for scientific conferences;
- Develop the critical content and structure of the introduction, methods, results, and discussion sections of a research manuscript;
- Present research data effectively in table and graphic form in order to highlight the most important findings of their research;
- Navigate the manuscript submission and review process, both internally with co-authors and externally with a journal; and
- Develop strategies for writing about science for public audiences via press releases, opinion/editorial pieces, and other perspectives approaches.
Alison Huang, MD, MAS, MPhil
Carolyn Gibson, PhD
Louise Aronson, MD
Vivek Jain, MD, MAS
Margot Kushel, MD
|Chief & Senior Editor Panelists:||
Andrew Bindman, MD
Health Services Research
Rita Redberg, MD, MS
JAMA Internal Medicine
Alexander Smith, MD, MPH, MS
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Julie Ann Sosa, MD, MA
World Journal of Surgery
Paul Volberding, MD
Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes
Course content will be delivered through 5 lectures. These lectures will take place every other Tuesday from 3:00 to 4:30 PM, on April 9, April 23, May 7, June 4 and 1:15 - 2:45 PM on May 21.
Publishing and Presenting Clinical Research by Warren Browner. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 3rd edition. 2012.
Note: The 2nd edition of the Publishing and Presenting Clinical Research by Warren Browner is available for free on Google Books.
Books may be purchased either through the publisher or a variety of commercial venues (e.g., Amazon.com).
Grades (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory ONLY) will be based on completion of all assignments. Homework assignments are due at the start of each class (including the first class). Please note that late assignments are not accepted.
This course is for Advanced Training In Clinical Research Certificate Program and Masters Degree Program in Clinical Research students only.
To apply for this course, please fill out and submit the application below. Please see our fees page for cost information. The deadline for application is March 22, 2019. Only one application needs to be completed for all courses desired during the quarter.
The application is best completed using the latest version of Firefox, Chrome or Safari.
Information for how to pay;
please read before applying